updated 11 July 2017
fiction, poetry, literary essays, travel narratives, translation, novelettes in verse / flash
We are open to many genres and themes, but are especially interested in works related to our mission: Exploring the world, one voice at a time. This mission applies to cultural, geographical, temporal, and ecological definitions of “world.”
- We ARE reading single works for publication on our blog. Please see the “New Guidelines Overview” section below for details.
- We are NOT reading unsolicited queries for book-length and chapbook-length manuscripts. Going forward all print titles will be selected on a solicited basis only, from our current authors and regular contributors to the blog (and unFold) who have demonstrated professionalism and community spirit. Any unsolicited queries/manuscripts will be discarded/deleted without response.
Please be sure you have read some of the works published on this blog prior to submitting your work so that you get a better feel for our editorial tastes. We will make every effort to respond to your submission within 30 days. We believe in a robust editorial process, so revisions may be requested prior to publication. Be sure to take all of these considerations into account before deciding to submit your work to us.
New Guidelines Overview:
- Editor: Barbara Flaherty | Assistant Editors: Sarah Gibson, Casey Tingle, Zakariah Johnson
- Reading Period: year round
- Issue Close Date: 31 December of each year
- Publication Date: Wednesdays.
- Number of Pieces Needed: a total of 52 per year across all genres
- Maximum Number of Pieces per Submission: one (more details below)
- Simultaneous Submissions: no
- Previously Published Submissions: no (exceptions below)
- Royalty: $5 US
- Other Perqs: Folded Word’s editors may solicit chapbook manuscripts from writers with multiple works published on this blog.
We will respond to submissions as quickly as possible, but initially it may take some time to decide on the best works to launch this new concept.
Submission of Work:
To be considered, a work must:
- Have a title, which must be 70 characters or less*
- Fit within our format limits:
- Poems = 25 lines or less
- Flash fiction, literary essay, travel narrative = 500 words or less
- Cross genre = reasonable length in reference to limits in A + B above. (For example: 8 lines + 300 words, 4 lines + 400 words, 15 lines + 150 words.)
- Be previously unpublished. EXCEPTIONS: a work only published on your own blog OR only published in print.
- Follow all submission guidelines. Submissions that do not follow the guidelines will be deleted without notification.
THIS IS IMPORTANT: Please only send us one work at a time — and wait until you hear from us on your first submission before sending us another. We’ll only be posting one selection per week (generally on Wednesdays), so please send your best effort.
*If your work is untitled, please give it a unique numerical identifier such as the date it was written or submitted. Example: 2017.07.11 for a poem submitted on 11 July 2017.
By filling out the form below, you grant us non-exclusive rights to publish the submitted work electronically in perpetuity and certify that the submitted work does not violate the copyrights or trademarks of any other individuals or entities.
Want your poem paired with video?
We are also taking submissions of poems 15 lines or less for the relaunch of our e-zine, unFold. Simply fill out the form here:
For permissions or press enquiries:
79 Tracy Way
Meredith, NH USA
FoldedEditors [at] gmail [dot] com