Stage 1 = acceptance into the show
Stage 2 = selection of one Best of Show winner and three Honorable Mentions.
What are we looking for? Poems inspired by all things garden: flowers, vegetables, trees, landscaping, water features, birds, pollinators, garden gnomes…you name it. Poems paired with a digital photo or artwork will be given extra consideration. Regular unFold submission guidelines apply. Special guidelines for the Garden Show include:
- Poem stanzas should be no more than 140 characters in length, including spaces and line breaks (each line break counts as 3 characters). Poems should contain no more than 3 stanzas.
- Maximum Number of Poems per Submission: 6
- Submit via email: poetry [at] foldedword [dot] com, subject line “Garden Show entry”
- Poems should be embedded in the body of the email with any photos/artwork as attachments.
- Entry Fee: none
- Deadline: 20 April 2012 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern (New York time)
- No previously published poems or poems under consideration elsewhere. Tweet-sized revisions of longer published/submitted poems are acceptable.
- Digital photos/artwork should be 1 MB or less, in JPG or PNG format. Any photos/artwork not created by the poet should include the name of the copyright holder and a statement that the poet has the proper permissions to submit it.
- Prizes: Best of Show poem will be made into a YouTube video. Poets/Artists that created Best of Show and Honorable Mention works will receive a free e-book from the Folded Word list.
- Poems will be chosen for inclusion in the show on 30 April 2012, and will be posted on the unFold blog and Twitter throughout the month of May. Winners will be announced 20 June 2012.
Rose Auslander, unFold’s editor, will select the poems and poem/art pairs that will be accepted into the show. This is a contest, so please be sure that poems have been critiqued by trusted colleagues prior to submission since editorial suggestions will have to be kept to a minimum.
Poems and artwork in the show will be made anonymous and forwarded on to the judges. Judges will rate entries based on artistic merit, creative adherence to the garden theme, and emotional connection. The three judges are:
- William O’Daly. William is a poet, translator, and fiction writer. His published works include eight books of the late and posthumous poetry of Chilean Nobel laureate Pablo Neruda (Copper Canyon Press) and a chapbook of his own poems, The Whale in the Web. He is also a board member of Poets Against War and co-founder of Copper Canyon Press.
- Jessie Carty. Jessie is the author of five poetry collections which include the upcoming chapbook An Amateur Marriage (Finishing Line 2012) and the award winning full length poetry collection Paper House (Folded Word 2010). Jessie teaches at Rowan-Cabarrus Community College in Concord, NC and is the founding editor of Referential Magazine.
- John Sibley Williams. John is the author of six chapbooks, including From Colder Climates (Folded Word 2012). He has served as Acquisitions Manager of Ooligan Press and Publicist for various presses. He holds an MFA in Creative Writing and MA in Book Publishing.
Don’t have a garden-inspired poem? No worries. Regular submissions will remain open during the contest period. Simply embed any Tweet-sized poem in an email to poetry [at] foldedword [dot] com with the subject line “submission” and Rose will consider it for publication in June.